Prep time: 2 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
This is a basic recipe for a filling and quick family breakfast. The picture doesn’t look too appetising, but there is plenty of flavour packed into this healthy dish. It’s oatmeal after all, what do you expect? Bonus: Oats are cheap and quick to cook. And they fill up little bellies.
Feeds 7 mouths with enough for second-helpings.
- 3 coffee mugs full of quick oats
- 1.8 litres of boiled water (one kettle’s worth)
- 1 mug of frozen blueberries (or other fruit)
- 1-2 overripe bananas
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- brown sugar or honey for topping
- splash of milk for flavour, texture, and temperature
- Fill an electric kettle (1.8 litres) and boil.
- Toss 3 coffee mugs worth of quick oats into a large pot.
- Add salt.
- Turn heat to high. Cook oats dry until they give off their nutty aroma.
- Pour in the full kettle of boiled water.
- Add bananas, mushing them up as you go.
- Stir oats continuously for a few minutes, until almost thick (not stodgy).
- Add cinnamon, vanilla extract, and frozen blueberries – stir for another minute or two.
- Serve with a little brown sugar or honey, and a dash of milk.