Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
This is a modified recipe of something I found online – an amalgamation of various recipes in fact. It all starts with a marinade for the chicken, which can be done well in advance (at least 1hr). I’d never made this dish before today. But in my search for easy nutritious and filling recipes, I thought I’d give it a try. If I were to make it again, I would add a green vegetable to the rice – maybe some broccoli.
Serves 7 hungry mouths.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups rice
- Get a ziplock bag and marinade the chicken (overnight, if you can) with: 3 cloves minced garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, juice of one lemon, oregano, salt & pepper.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken (save marinade) and brown both sides in an oven-safe dish/skillet. Remove.
- Cut onion and remaining garlic. Fry in the same skillet.
- Add rice and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and a little salt and pepper (to your liking). Stir ingredients and bring to boil.
- Grate lemon rind. Add to mixture.
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Slice the whole lemon into wheels and distribute around the chicken.
- Cook for 20 mins covered; a further 20-25 mins uncovered, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.