Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 2hrs
Another simple but tasty recipe that feeds the entire family. There’s nothing more to say. Best served with some fresh, crusty bread.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1L beef stock
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for cooking.
- Prepare vegetables, finely chopping the onion, carrot, pepper, and celery.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Brown meat, breaking it up as you go along.
- Toss is the onion, carrot, celery, and pepper while the meat is still browning, cooking for at least a few minutes.
- Drain fat.
- Add the canned tomatoes, beef stock, parsley, thyme, and barley.
- Stir ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer and cover for approx. 2 hrs.